17 February 2012
Top 5 Garden Trends for 2012
According to Frankie Flowers (I know, this is a bit of a theme here tonight!), aka Frank Ferragine, the top five garden trends for 2012 are:
1. Grow your own. More and more people are getting back into vegetable gardening! North America's movement to live local, which means eating locally grown foods as much as possible, combined with the influence of celebrity chefs, has been a huge encouragement towards growing your own.
2. Community Gardens. More communities are providing designated growing spaces for urbanites who might be short on room but are wanting to adopt/rent a spot to grow their own vegetables, etc.
3. No space - no problem. With limited space in big cities and more and more people moving into apartments and condos, space is limited for growing. Thus the trend towards more container gardening (see Frankie's new book Pot it Up) and growing vertically.
4. Outdoor Living. This is not a new trend by any stretch but it is becoming more and more popular. This year will see more people not only gardening, but entertaining and relaxing in their own little oasis right in their yard.
5. Inner Gardening. The urban jungle, all the concrete high-rises and office buildings, is an enormous influence in this trend. More and more people are looking for a touch of the outdoors that they can enjoy inside. Easy plants and indoor growing solutions are at the top of this trend.