13 August 2014

Greenland Garden Centre's Botanical Garden Summer 2014 (part I)


It's been a couple years or so since I visited Greenland Garden Centre's Botanical Garden so things have changed, evolved and grown.  The most significant difference I noted was a lack of vegetables grown in the beds.  There are a few varieties of apples but that's it for the edible garden.  Which is, actually, perfectly fine with me because when I visit a botanical garden, I'm there to see which ornamental trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals I might consider for future planting.  The apple trees are a bonus and must look and smell amazing in the spring!

The tour will take only a few minutes; just follow my lead....





The botanical garden frames a small pond.



I love the pink tinged flower heads on this variegated grass. 
 Sorry, I didn't catch the name.









Weeping trees in the landscape just do it for me!  Anytime I see one, I must get closer!  Their form is very becoming to me.



Speedwell and day lilies


I've grown this grass before but haven't seen it "bloom".  It's light airy wisps are eye-catching against the backdrop of an evergreen.




Veronica aka Speedwell, above and below




Coral Bells aka Heuchera, above, is a lovely plant for low light conditions.  I find they brown in full sun.





I love this clematis!




In front, the intricate branch form of a weeping birch.


A blue spruce is just visible in front of a ground cover
 juniper with flowering spirea behind.  
Ninebark offers a contrasting backdrop in burgundy tones.





Part II will take us indoors and through the tree nursery area.  I  hope you'll return to see what's in store.  (pun intended ;P)



















1 comment:

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Thanks for the tour! I love wandering around gardens and thinking possibilities of what to grow. I'm a sucker for weeping willows myself. :-)
Take 25 to Hollister

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...