03 September 2011

The End or the Beginning: Celebrating the Garden

It is now early September and a definite nip has replaced the warmth of summer.  Evenings are markedly cooler and day light hours noticeably shorter.  Deep within, this makes me cringe.  The older I get, the more I seriously dislike winter, and fall to the extent that it is the harbinger of winter, often accented with days of snow, far too early in the season.  

I once, not too long ago, lingered on the deck in the evening, languishing in the warmth of a summer's dusk.  Now, I hide indoors, with a sweater, sighing as only a lover of summer and gardening does, knowing that the joy I hold dear is passing me by.  Readying itself for a long winter's rest, the garden begins to take on the first signs of a change of seasons.  The Pink Diamond hydrangea blossoms are turning a delicate pink on the edges, soon to be a full dusty pink, beautiful in their own right.  I spotted a few yellow leaves on the birch and promptly removed them, lest the rest of the garden should feel inclined to follow suit. Berries of the mountain ash are now a deep and beautiful orange, hanging gloriously as the accent of colour in the far corner of the yard.  Even the peony leaves are finding new shades of red to brighten their existence in my garden.  The garden seems to celebrate the end or the beginning of the season by donning its brightest colours.  

As I contemplate this change of events, from the plants' perspectives, I cannot deny them this yearly ritual for I too glory in the magic of the change of scenery.  The magnificent accents that dot the landscape or sometimes set it awash in divine brilliant colour, makes my heart leap in joy.  Yes, I love fall too.  Such a gloriously colourful season.  I imagine the crisp scent that permeates the air with the change of seasons, summer into fall, and there is something energizing in it.  It makes me long to walk in the wilderness, bundled in my favourite sweater, long jeans and comfy shoes.  Of course, what would such a walk be without my camera?  It is a frequent companion on such occasions and soon I will be posting photos of the delights that capture my senses.  Is it the end or the beginning?  Whatever it is, I too shall find joy in it!

Here are some of my favourite photos of the passing season......























I'm celebrating the garden with......
Mosaic Monday at Little Red House
Cottage Flora Thursday at Fishtail Cottage

Thanks for visiting, dear friends.  Have a great one!



20 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you for posting all of these lovely pictures as you end one season and start another.

I have a hard time dealing with summer weather, as it starts early and lasts 6 or more months, along with hurricane season. I have been feeling hints of autumn as the morning temps are much nicer and that is so GREAT. I look forward to cooler temps that is for sure.

I look forward also to seeing the photos of winter beauty that you will be capturing as we don't have much of a change down here.

Have a nice day and a great week.

FlowerLady

Karen said...

I feel the same way you do, trying hard not to let summer slip away just yet, but knowing full well that resistance is futile. :')

Love the railing pictured in your mosaic and the waterfalls and your cute little dog!

anne said...

beautiful pictures and lovely writing to go along with the season we are entering

Shyrlene said...

**Deep sigh** ...Your topic is so relate-able. Our temperatures here in the upper Midwest have gone from 95 to 70 (always the way it seems to go from Summer to Autumn). You've posted lovely photos and captured great images of 2011. (What would we do without digital technology?!) :)

Sheila said...

What a beautiful post! Your writing is lovely as are your photos. It certainly is a bittersweet time of year but to everything there is a season and so time passes...

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi,
What beautiful flowers! Love the pink mosiac. You took some awesome pics. The one of the water splashing down the waterfall is wonderful! Yes, we have very similar feelings towards Fall.I had to laugh when I read that you picked the yellow leaves off your plant. I do the same. Thanks so much for visiting me. I am now following you.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

You found some amazing shots today! I love the garden statuary and the garden pictures in general. That aerial type shot was very interesting and the dog...just adorable!

My Little Home and Garden said...

Shirley,
I quite enjoy the fall weather, it makes me feel more energized than the hot, languid days of summer. Every season has its own charm. I enjoyed looking at your photos. There is one shot of the sky, with the orange, that is so beautiful!
Thanks for stopping by my blog; I'm glad the duck gave you a giggle!
-Karen

Pondside said...

I enjoyed your photos very much - but your writing most of all. It's a bitter sweet time of year, especially for those of us love both seasons. Of course fall here, means something far different from fall in Alberta - I've experienced that and am quite happy to anticipate rain and fog here on the coast.

ellen b. said...

You have a lovely garden to celebrate. Enjoy! Love the sky shots, too.

Teacup-In-The-Garden said...

Thanks for sharing this great photos! I don't know, which of them I like the most...
Have a nice week,
Markus

Beth said...

Hi Shirley, Thanks for stopping over and leaving a comment. I looked up the sweet autumn clematis and it says hardy to zone 4A (35 below) so I think you could give it a try - mulch it well in the fall. I love your delphinium, your sweet dog, your clematis, fuschia and the masks in your garden! Stunning! I hate to see summer end, but autumn is indeed colorful and beautiful. To everything there is a season, and a purpose under heaven. (I'm with you, though, winter I could do without!)
Hugs, Beth

Kim, USA said...

Oh so beautiful collage of flowers. And yes somehow we gonna say byebye to these beauty and embrace the color of fall. ^_^

Eyeball Plant

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love all of your beautiful flowers and the photo of the tree and leaves casting a shadow is wonderful! I love summer best....but I'm going to enjoy Fall more this year! ♥

LindyLouMac said...

I love the summer as well and fortunately it is still going to be here to enjoy for awhile longer. I so enjoyed your gorgeous flowers, the beautiful skies and that wonderful shadow shot.:)
The book you have just posted about sounds lovely, I might see if it has been published in Europe.

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Beautiful photographs! Your flowers are so pretty and the sky shots are amazing! What a sweet puppy...what kind is it? I have a malti-pom and yours looks so much like her!
Blessings,
Cindy

Rebecca said...

What a great "end of the season" post! Thanks for sharing :)

Tootsie said...

this whole post is just wonderful, but I especially love the pond!!!
since the summer is winding down here in Alberta, it will be nice to be able to see all the flaunts both past and present from all those who get to garden year round. I made FF open to photos from past gardens for those who are in climates that stink on ice like mine! lol
Thank you so much for linking in this week...and for flaunting with me. I look forward to many more flaunts from you!
Friday's Flaunts are a privelage for me to host. I love getting to be inspired by some of the most wonderful gardeners I have ever had the privelage of "knowing"
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

I agree, so melancholy to see the decline in the garden. At least when I lived in N. Calif, each fall when the rains began was a kind of a second Spring. Here in Seattle it's more like a decline, hunker down and wait. But this year, gorgeous and warm September weather, which helps. Lovely photos, especially that pale rose one on top. I prefer the sharper images, myself. Great selection.

Rambling Woods said...

You captured perfectly what I feel and can't put into words.. you are a talented writer Shirley...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...