08 February 2011

Dryer Sheets vs. Fungus Gnats

Last year I did a post about fungus gnats that I am reminded of as I came across this research reported by HortScience and mentioned on Enjoy Gardening's newsletter.    Fungus gnats are those miniscule black winged bugs that resemble fruit flies.  They inhabit soil, especially moist soil wherein they lay their eggs.  It is not uncommon to find them in the soil of houseplants during winter.

According to the researchers at Kansas State University, Bounce dryer sheets repel fungus gnats!  The researchers tested and were able to prove the repellency factor of the dryer sheets.  It is believed the chemical linalool, which is used in perfumed products with a floral scent, including dryer sheets, may be at least partially responsible for this effect.

So next time you find those pesky little bugs flying about, try a Bounce dryer sheet placed strategically.  Be the researcher and see if there is merit to this.  Otherwise, read my article for ways to get rid of them.

6 comments:

Karen said...

What a great tip, and one I will definitely try with these pesky bugs. I wonder if it would work in an outdoor greenhouse? I suppose, what's the harm in trying; I'll have a very nice-smelling greenhouse, if nothing else. :-)

EG CameraGirl said...

That's fascinating information! I just hope linalool is safe for humans.

Shirley said...

It certainly is worth trying and hopefully linalool has no negative effects on us. It's been used in dryer sheets for years now and I haven't heard of anything negative in the press about it.

Sheila said...

I didn't know what those teeny tiny creatures were. this is the first winter we've spotted some in the house. Thanks for the good hint.

DoanLegacy said...

Good to know about Bounce dry sheet. We use this!

Anonymous said...

Superb, what a weblog it is! This webpage presents useful facts to us,
keep it up.
Also see my website: Lock Document

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...