22 June 2010

It Can Be Done - Growing in Zone 1a!!


Yes, it can be done!!  We are contemplating a move from zone 3b to Fort McMurray but when I discovered what I thought was a zone 2 hardiness zone is actually zone 1, I was dismayed.  No way was this gardener going to consider moving somewhere I can't garden!!!

Thank goodness I came upon this site for Dunvegan Gardens.  They have a nursery in Edmonton and Fort McMurray.  A plant search page is available for you to specify what you are seeking and it comes up with hardy plants that fit that criteria! 

Besides balsam fir, tamarack, aspen and poplar, there's a lot to choose from including amur maple, birch, caragana, and ash.  Peonies, raspberries, saskatoons, roses, hostas, blue boy clematis, yarrow, monkshood, campion to name a few. Suddenly it is not so barren!

So for those of you considering moving or already living in a plant hardiness zone of 1, there is a lot to choose from.  Another nice thing is the number of daylight hours is greater than most, gorgeous aurora borealis (northern lights), and low humidity so cold doesn't feel so cold compared to, say, Southern Ontario.

So, as far as moving goes, that is yet to be determined.  At least I am hopeful about growing there. Sigh, there goes that determining factor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great websіte you haѵe here but I was curiοus abоut іf you κnew of any community
fοrums that cover the same topics diѕcuѕsed herе?
I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

Take a look at my page :: mover

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...