22 July 2013

Beverly Hills Area Garden - Garden III in the Strathcona County Garden Tour

The third garden on the tour rivals all others for my favourite.  As we pulled up, you could smell the fire in the pit out back. Combine that with the fragrance of wet wood and foliage and I was in olfactory heaven!

My favourite features of this garden lie in the natural woodland feel of it all.  The owners didn't try too hard, meaning those plants that did well in the area are the ones they kept.  The landscape flows naturally from the wooded area on the perimeter, to the pond, to the mature trees, to the flower beds.  The lady of the house loves to quilt and has a few of hers draped over natural cane chairs and railings.  Sorry to say, they are not for sale, a sad bit of information for my friend Kim who fell in love with a couple of the pieces.  Apparently they were sewn for the couple's children.  The quilts added to the homey, natural feel of the garden, tying in the decks to the garden in their usage.

Enough from me...take a look for yourself and tell me, isn't this the most wonderfully relaxing garden...ever?





The gazebo is under construction but it's bones already define what will be a beautiful space to enjoy nature.

The homeowner adorned a few mirrors with pieces of drift wood collected from vacations and transformed the frames of some mirrors, strategically placed in the garden to reflect a beautiful scene or flowering plant.




I love the red doors!  What a wonderful accent for this scene!

A lacey elder softens the edges of the deck and railing.










The vegetable garden sits beyond the show garden, fenced off to keep moose and deer out.  I was talking to the husband who told us the reason for the cedar at the side of the house to be so bare 5 feet from the ground and down is the doings of a moose during the winter.  However, it opens up the view nicely.  I thought I'd gotten a photo but apparently not.  It's up to your imaginations.


The dark lacey foliage of a Japanese maple contrasts with the large leaves of the hosta and the grassy leaves of a daylily. 
Two varieties of cimicifuga side by side.  The owner remarked that she would be moving one of them in the near future.  The light heart shaped leaves in front belong to a Brunnera. 


Beyond the gates, at the back of the property, sits a playhouse of sorts.
















purple rain birch 

I want to find the ingredients for this planter and replicate it for my front deck next year!
I took this photo more for my husband than anyone.  He wants a kayak so badly that he's been asking for one for the last several years for Father's Day.  Sorry hon, it's not a kayak but I was thinking of you while I was enjoying the wonderful area gardens!  wink;)



4 comments:

eileeninmd said...

What a lovely home! The gardens are beautiful and I love the gazebo. So many beautiful things to look at, love them all. Have a happy week ahead.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you for this lovely garden tour. I can smell the damp earthiness and the smoke from the fire pit. Just wonderful!!!!

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous garden, and I think you've covered the entire area so well!

LostRoses said...

I agree that ths is a wonderful garden. I loved the old ladder used as a trellis, very clever! Too bad those quilts weren't for sale but they look like labors of love to me, as is the garden!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...