03 May 2016

In the Kitchen with Pinterest: Citrus Fennel and Avocado Salad


Good day all!  I'm back in the kitchen where I trialled a recipe from Pinterest I've been longing to try, Citrus Fennel and Avocado Salad.  It's my first time "cooking" with fennel.  The fragrance is very much like liquorice but the flavour is very slight.  It's a nice light crunchy vegetable that lends itself very nicely to salads.  My grocery store didn't have the variety of oranges listed in the recipe so I used Cara and naval oranges.  I considered adding canned mandarin oranges but they were imported from overseas and I prefer to shop more North American or local (but oranges don't grow here).  I also couldn't find champagne vinegar so I used my white wine vinegar.  No mint leaves on hand either so this is really a good test to see if the recipe bears up well with substitutions and without an ingredient.  Consensus was, it does.  

The original recipe calls for an assortment of citrus and the author notes she used 3 naval oranges, 3 cara oranges, 2 mineola oranges, 3 mandarin oranges and 1 blood orange. 

Here are the ingredients:

assorted citrus
1/2 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
1/2 shallot, peeled and very thinly sliced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp champagne vinegar
1 tbsp honey (I used liquid)
kosher salt (I used ground sea salt)
freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 cup mint leaves
reserved fennel fronds

For full recipe and directions see:  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/53480314303511332/




I served the Citrus Fennel and Avocado Salad 
with homemade potato salad, 
grilled peppers, asparagus and mushrooms 
and steak.


The big question is, would I make this again?  Yes.  Citrus Fennel and Avocado Salad is a recipe I will return to and next time I'll make sure I have mint leaves on hand.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.  Cheers!





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...