One of the most popular plants for Christmas, can be a difficult one to get right.
- Select a plant with full thick growth with a good root system (roots fill the pot).
- Give the poinsettia a spot with a lot of sunlight (they are native to Mexico!).
- Keep the soil moist but not wet.
- Too little light causes the poinsettia to drop green leaves.
- Soil that is too dry causes the leaves of the poinsettia to curl
- Soil that is too wet causes yellow leaves.
- Stick your finger in the soil, up to the first knuckle, and water when it feels dryer than a moist dishrag. (tip from Jim Hole)
- Never let your poinsettia sit in water. Remove the fancy pot cover when watering to be sure the water runs out and doesn't sit around the roots. When it has finished leaking out the bottom of the pot, you may place the pot back in the cover.