07 November 2012

Snowfall Warning in Effect for Edmonton November 7/12


We have a snowfall warning in effect here in Edmonton.  What began as rain in the hours shortly after midnight, soon became snow with ice beneath.  The above photo was taken around 7am this morning.


Above and the following two photos were taken this afternoon.  It has snowed almost continuously ever since.



One of our major thoroughfares was closed to all but those who had snow tires.  Police were on hand to enforce it!  There were semis jackknifed across a road, beneath a bridge and several near misses.  There's about 2 inches of ice beneath all the snow on the roads.  Very treacherous indeed.

My husband picked me up from work this afternoon and said what usually takes 12-15 minutes took him an hour to get there from home. 


This is our forecast.  

Winter is here.


10 comments:

Crafty Gardener said...

Oh my goodness, that was some storm. We heard about it on the Weather Network, but seeing your photos makes it much more real. Hope you are all safe and warm and this early taste of winter leaves as quickly as it came.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Wow! No snow yet for us on the East coast. But boy, it sure is cold early morning and nights.

Sheila said...

Fantastic views of the storm Shirley! I can't believe we only got some light flurries through the day. I'm hoping we get missed altogether. I'm sure glad we weren't in the city or driving through St Albert today... Hope that the roads will be in better shape for your drive to work tomorrow!

Karen said...

Oh, it's too early. (I know it's not, but I'm not ready.) Ice underneath the snow is treacherous indeed! I hope the weather calms down soon.

sensiblegardening said...

Oh dear, I grew up in Edmonton and you never forget. We had our forst snow this morning but with a liitle luck it won't last long, it's pretty... but???

Shirley said...

Dear Crafty Gardener, yes it was some storm! Some areas of the city lost power but. luckily, we weren't amongst those. It snowed more yesterday too. I am posting more today about our winter wonderland. So glad you stopped in to say hi!

Shirley said...

Sandy, I am glad you have no snow. How did you fare with the hurricane that hit the east coast? Were you or your area affected? I hope all is well out there.

I'm so glad you stopped in!

Shirley said...

Sheila, did you not get hit by the storm Lethbridge and area received? If not, you are very fortunate! We all need the moisture but a little at a time. Pacing, that's what I like.

Shirley said...

Thanks Karen! The weather is much calmer today and I am happy to see the blue skies and sunshine. It's -14 Celsius but it looks so much different and better today than yesterday or the day before. Wednesday was the worst of it!

With all your projects on the farm, I hope that snow continues to postpone its arrival in your area. Take care! I'll be popping over soon to see what you're up to.

Shirley said...

Sensible Gardening, you grew up here? It's nice to meet a fellow Edmontonian even if you reside somewhere else now. It's the weather, isn't it?

My son sent me photos of Vancouver yesterday afternoon. The view from his office window is of sunny skies and trees in full autumn splendour! It looks gorgeous there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...