- Prune spring blooming shrubs, after they have bloomed, as necessary.
- Weed regularly
- Tender vegetables and annuals may be planted after June 1
- Top up mulch on flower beds, around trees and shrubs.
- Water gardens and lawns. Lawns require 1 inch per week of rain/watering.
- Allow leaves on expired tulips and daffodils to remain. As they fade, they help provide nutrients to the bulb for next year's blooms. Feed after blooming.
- Train vines to follow trellises by tucking in shoots; tie branches of climbing roses to supports.
- The first week of June, snap off candles (new growth on mugho pines) in half or more to control growth and shape.
- Trim hedges, keeping top of hedge narrower than the bottom.
- Stake tall perrenials and cage tomatoes and similar plants now before they get floppy. Apply peony rings to peonies if you have not already done so.
- Deadhead flowers as they become spent to promote new flowers.
26 May 2010
June To Do List
Posted by Shirley