20 July 2011

Greenhouse Tour Continued

I am contributing to a few memes today, including memes for shadow shots, water, flowers, and reflections.
Welcome back to Greenland........ 
 Just outside the entrance to Greenland Garden Centre in Sherwood Park Alberta, I took these photos.    Last week I posted more photos of this entrance which you can see here.  The rock faces (below) are so unique.  The more I see of them, the more I like them.
So that was a glimpse of last week's post close-up so you can enjoy the plantings.  Now, come with me inside to the gift section.  They employ an interior decorator who puts all this together with great aplomb.  I love to shop in here for great decor ideas and style tips.  The air smells heavenly of perfumed sachets.  
From table settings, to sachets, candles, statuary, jewellery, skin care for the gardener, plaques, and so much more....it's a would-be designer's dream.  Just take a look at the variety and the attention to detail.  It makes me want to redecorate my entire house........






Now off to the indoor plant section.......
From bromeliads above to Japanese Maples below..... Japanese Maples are not indoor plants as they need a dormant period.  I've tried growing them myself but they are zone 5 at the minimum and I live in zone 3.  I read a tip recently for overwintering Japanese Maples for those of us in climates too cold to keep them outdoors year-round.  Another greenhouse suggests growing them in pots, then at the end of the season, water well and put in the garage overwinter, wrapping the entire pot in layers of bubble wrap to insulate the root ball.  I really must try this as I do love Japanese Maples.

Having never seen Hens and Chicks (above) flower quite like this, my son asked me to take a photo.
Love these plants!  So vibrant above and so pretty and feminine below!


This area that we just entered, above photo and below, is an outdoor extension of the greenhouse.  We are under a pergola.  Do you like the water feature?

Above, a neat idea to make over a bird bath.
An outdoor seating area in a gazebo. (above)
Now for the perennial section.......
And the trees and shrubs........





The garden centre has a couple outdoor water features, this stream and a pond.  The pond section is located nearby with all the supplies you could possibly need to set up a pond on your property.  The only thing missing is the fish.  

I took so many photos here that I depleted the memory on my card.  Not all are posted here and will be available in future posts as I spotlight some of my favourite plants.  Stay tuned...

To see the tour of the Botanical Garden which is located on the property of this greenhouse, click 

I am linking with:

What do you think of this greenhouse?  Is a destination you'd like to visit, assuming you'd be in this neck of the woods?  
I love to hear from you, so please take a moment to comment below.  
Followers are welcome!  I love the company!!


26 comments:

Sheila said...

Greenland looks like a lovely place to browse - thanks for taking me on a tour. I'd love to Google it next time I have a free afternoon while in the big city. do you think it would be possible to keep a Japanese Maple in the house over the winter. that would be wonderful!

Anne said...

beautiful pics

Melanie J Watts said...

Shirley- I see Greenland does have a lot of plants for sale and some nice planted areas like the water feature in the last photo above. My sempervivium, hens and chicks, bloomed last year in my garden. Here's a link to the photo. They die after they flower. http://www.flickr.com/photos/melaniejo/5038185044/in/set-72157600122952648

Kim, USA said...

This is my kind of place I like to hang out and go around. I like the Japanese maple tree too and here at Sam's they sell it for almost $30. Haven't tried it yet and I guess it will grow here for our zone is 6. ^_^

Big bucket

Luna Miranda said...

a wonderful place! i love the outdoor gazebo.

Judy said...

Lots of great photos! I think I like the trompe d'oeiul (or however you spell it) banner the best.
You asked about the flower in my photos of the dew. That is the buds of the birdsfoot trefoil. The blossoms are in the second last photo. You seldom see them with the orange like that.

Roan said...

I love shops like Greenland. I love to browse through the aisles of home decor items. The flowers are amazing. Wonderful post!

Al said...

Looks like a great place. For years I've wanted to put a water feature in my yard but can't get the motivation to do it.

eden said...

Beautiful garden Center. Love all your photos. Thank you for sharing.

Hootin Anni said...

Stunning....all of it. I especially, like you, found those 'face rocks' wonderful. I can just picture them in our backyard garden!!! [ps...love your sunrise photos in the post below, also!]

I WISH I WAS 18 AGAIN

Hope your day has treated you well so far!!

Sheila said...

Thanks for the Japanese Maple suggestions - now to find one. I would love to have a conservatory - wouldn't you?

Shirley said...

Sheila, I certainly do!!

Tootsie said...

good Lord!!! I need to take a wad of cash and make a road trip! I am only an hour away...
maybe one day we can meet there??? I am from Red Deer...so if you are ever around here...let me know!!!!! I would love to meet another blogging gardener!!!

Anonymous said...

I think I would spend far to much money if I were to visit here!!!
Wonderful place.

Darla said...

What a wonderful place. I'd love to browse there.

Rambling Woods said...

Wow..you spent a lot of time of this...lovely tour..you should join my Nature Notes meme sometime if you want...

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Lovely place, and the plants look so well cared for. Thanks for sharing.

Bonita Jane said...

ooooh love the potential shopping at the greenhouse gift shop! thanks for taking us on the tour!

Sylvia K said...

Terrific post and photos for the day, Shirley! Thanks for the great tour and what a beautiful place and gorgeous plants and flowers -- and shadows! Hope you're enjoying a wonderful weekend!

Sylvia

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Wow !!
That place is heavenly : )
Your pictures were wonderful making it a fantastic tour .. I just planted two Japanese maples last year and two this year .. hoping they will truly "take" .. I would so love to visit this place .. spend the whole day just wondering around : )
Joy

Andrea said...

Wow, that is a big greenhouse with a lot of plant collections. I love the flowers of the bromeliad, they are so big unlike what i see here. Maybe the climate fully fits their requirements. The seemingly topiary shrubs are lovely too. I wonder if all those plants are sold, and what they do with the leftovers! It is very hard to maintain.

Hootin Anni said...

I'm back...yep, it's Sunday now, and guess what? I STILL LOVE the stone faces.


STILT WALKER?

Have a happy Sunday.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very nice place.

Regards!

Anonymous said...

I would love to wander around here! Beautiful.

'Tsuki said...

Lovely idea, this tour of that gorgeous shop... A bright occasion to catch interesting reflection, indeed !

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about software.
Regards
Check out my website click here link

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...