05 July 2011

The Remains of the Day


As a dog owner, I find myself wandering the garden during the early morning hours, long before the streets are alive with activity and the only sound in the air is that of the birds and the gentle flow and trickle of our pond/waterfall and that of our neighbours.  

I've been meaning for a few days now to take a photo of this Bowl of Beauty Peony (above).  Now, it is somewhat faded but still beautiful.  This flower closes tight during the night and opens as the sun peeks over the horizon.  Most mornings I am out before it is, but this morning I had the presence of mind to grab the camera to capture this shot.  As a new bloom, the Bowl of Beauty has single bright pink outer petals, slightly overlapping the next petal, with sunny yellow stamens.  In its current somewhat faded stage, it is still lovely.


Karl Rosenfeld (the magenta bloom) is a late bloomer, blooming after the Sorbet,  Sarah Bernhart peonies and Festiva Maxima (pictured below), while the Bowl of Beauty seems to be the last to bloom.  It is a relatively young plant with few blossoms.  I look forward to when it comes into its own a bit more, but that will likely necessitate moving these plants as they are now a tad crowded.  For now, though, they mask the unsightly window well, so it will be a couple years before the move is necessary.

There are few plants that provide the show that peonies do.  All in all, ants aside, they are one of my all time favourites.  Easy care, fragrant blossoms, and a showy display = a perfect addition to the garden!





7 comments:

Meadowsweet Cottage said...

The peonies are worth it! I wish mine had lasted longer this year but were gorgeous while they lasted. Now I'm reveling in our roses--come by and take a look :)

EG CameraGirl said...

You have such lovely peonies! That reminds me that I have a couple I really ought to move this autumn. :))

Donna Heber said...

Hi Shirley,

Your peonies are so beautiful! I can't believe how striking the Bowl of Beauty is. I wish they lasted longer in the garden. Have a great day!

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

Hi Shirley, I like mornings in the garden too. Your Bowl of Beauty is very pretty. The great thing about these types of peonies is that they don't flop to the ground. I have a Karl Rosenfeld as well. It is hard to capture in a picture (cameras don't seem to like red do they), but it is one of my favourites.
p.s. I am on the outskirts of Brampton, Ontario.

Rambling Woods said...

I love them...I forgot to answer your question...Yes, both dragonfly and damselfly larva eat mosquito larva and anything else they can grab...Michelle

Savannah Granny said...

Love these peonies. I am so envious. I can't grow them in Savh. TOO hot. I tried another one this year that was supposed to work for our zone. It succumbed to the heat. Your's are so beautiful and they make the most awesome cut flowers. Hugs.

Karen said...

I wish I was a morning person, alas I am not, but certainly enjoyed your stroll through the garden this day. The peonies are so pretty early in the morning, now you've given me incentive to get outside with a camera much earlier than I usually do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...