18 August 2011

New Research on Powdery Mildew and Lighting is Promising

Once a week I receive Jim Hole's Notebook, a virtual newsletter written by Jim Hole and distributed by Hole's Greenhouses in St. Albert.  Under the Science and Technology section, I read the most interesting and promising bit of research that I've seen in some time and it regards powdery mildew on roses.  Here is what it said,


"A Gardener’s Red-light District?  Researchers in Norway have discovered that exposing roses to red light during the night reduces the incidence of powdery mildew. Apparently, red light inhibits germination of powdery mildew spores. Even a short period of exposure can be quite effective. How well this research will translate into the real world of gardens is tough to say. But who knows? Perhaps night lighting will become one more pest-fighting tool for gardeners."

Are you ready to go out and buy red night lighting for your rose garden?  Believe me, I am tempted!

Hot Cocoa Rose (floribunda)

2 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

My lilacs have that stuff...

Anonymous said...

Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the amazing effort.
Also visit my web site ... internet florist

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...