30 March 2013

Trends in the Garden for 2013


As I was watching the gardening special on Cityline, Frank Ferragine (aka Frankie Flowers) shared this new trend in gardening as found at Canada Blooms in Toronto this spring. Since I like to see what's new in the garden world, I thought you'd like to as well.


The colour trend this year for the garden is  green and white, with greens of varying textures and white blossoms and foliage to illuminate the garden.  The collage below is comprised of photos I've taken over the last year or so, all but one of which is from my own garden.

This colour trend is one I've actually loved for years. It offers the serene feeling I longed for in my garden... a place to escape the busyness and stress of the city, right in my own back yard.  Entertaining in the evening is more dramatic too as light reflects off the white foliage and flowers.  For more wow factor, choose plants with large white blossoms like a clematis or night flowering water lily (I tried to find a hardy one for our pond but couldn't), or a shrub/perennial with clusters of white blooms.



 These are just a few examples of what you can do with a monochromatic scheme.  
Visit http://bit.ly/14lCgKn to see the special for yourself.

Other links which may interest you:
http://www.ronaldholbrook.com/images/uploads/pdf/weekend-post1.pdf
http://houseandhome.com/tv/segment/urban-outdoor-oasis
Kingston, Anne. "Instant classic: interior designer Brian Gluckstein teams up with landscape architect Ronald Holbrook to renovate his Toronto garden with trademark sophistication.(city style)."Gardening Life. Canadian Home Publishers. 2004. AccessMyLibrary. 31 Mar. 2013 

3 comments:

Arija said...

and give space to the wonderfully night perfumed white perennial phlox or simple, old fashioned annual cosmos. Lilac is another of my favourites and drifts of white roses.
There is nothing to match a moonlit outdoor party on a summer's night, with no other light except for some glow-worms.

Lovely blooms from your garden.

Shirley said...

You can read about Brian Gluckstein's garden transformation here: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-938617_ITM

His garden is predominately green and white.

Shirley said...

Thanks for the suggestions Arija! I do love a scented phlox like David. It is both fragrant and a terrific addition to the evening garden.

Hmmmm I am enjoying the image of drifts of white roses! Talk about a visual treat! Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...