01 November 2010

Garden Mentors

I recall hot summer days out at my grandparents’ farm. My mom grew up on this farm after moving from another in Manitoba. Grandma had a huge garden; at least it seemed so to a child. It went on and on and on. Potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, beans, peas, and the list continues. She was an avid gardener and a vegetable plot was a necessity for a family of eleven children. I respect the garden thanks to her.


My mother too, mentor in all things great and small, grew a garden. I recall many days spent outdoors with mom, picking rocks, pulling weeds, and best of all, picking strawberries from the enormous strawberry patch. To this day, she and her husband love to spend time in the garden. She cans and makes jellies and jams from ingredients in her own garden.  I've shared a few photographs from that very garden, the plants mom nurtures and loves.  I enjoy and love the garden thanks to her.



Lois Hole, garden mentor to many, started the family business with her husband back in the 60’s. They had a farm, raised their children on it, grew vegetables and sold them from their barn. Lois discovered that selling a few flowering plants too was well received and it grew from there. Today their two sons, Jim and Bill, run the family business. It is a large and well-respected greenhouse/nursery located in St. Albert, Alberta. They have created a masterpiece from meager beginnings and continue to grow as they lead the industry with environmental practices.  I find the books I refer to most often are those written by Lois Hole. She wrote from experience and her love of plants and people is evident in her books.

I love to garden.  (Does it show?)  Stress and worries ease as I am on my hands and knees with fresh cool earth under the palms of my hands.  It is a release and a love.  I practice it, read about it, photograph and write about it.  Thanks to these amazing individuals, especially my own mother, I learn and grow with my garden and the desire to do so increases over the years.

Do you have a garden mentor?  Take a moment here to share your story.

9 comments:

Bom said...

My mother loves plants but I think I developed my interest out of my own passion for nature, flora and fauna. I don't have a particular mentor but am inspired by every new development with my plants and by the people that I speak to and learn from.

joey said...

Beautiful thoughts. My mother was my 1st garden mentor too. Though long gone, she lives forever in our many shared passions. Happy November :)

PurestGreen said...

You and my mother would be kindred spirits. She adores her garden and she even manages the local farmers' market. There is nothing in the world better than homemade preserves made from garden goodies. Lovely post about a subject that is obviously a deep passion of yours.

(I'm also popping over with a bit of good news. You are one of the winners of my Keli Clark card giveaway. Please email me with your mailing address so I can forward your cards onto you when they arrive) Tee hee!

Lynn said...

Great article! It brought back memories of my Dad. He wasn't a gardener but I vividly remember him commenting on how much he loved the smell of dirt in the spring when cultivating began and of course the smell of new cut hay as summer arrived. I guess it's in my blood. I garden every year, but probably spend many more hours in the field-farming than I do in my garden. But I never fail to remember those words from my Dad. They must have meant a lot to me, as I haven't had him around to repeat them since I was 14 yrs. old. Good job Shirl!

Shirley said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments; Bom, Joey, Purest Green and Lynn. I love to read what makes gardening a passion for those who read and follow this blog. Where would we be without the mentors in our lives who've guided our paths, and helped shape our future.

Al said...

I've never been around people who were much good at growing things, although my father maintains a small vegetable garden. Now I live somewhere it's almost impossible to grow stuff.

Rambling Woods said...

My love of the garden is new and stemmed naturally from my love of wildlife in my yard. My mother and grandmother both loved to garden, but my grandmother died with I was 11 and my mother had health issues which prevented her from doing many things from the time I was a teen..so I am learning now..after the age of 50....Michelle

Steve said...

My Grand Dad had a small plot that he farmed the old way. He knew more about soil than anyone I've met since. He could tell you the soil ph just by tasting it. I learned more from him than anyone.

Thanks for the wonderful post and for the reminder and opportunity to mention him.

Shirley said...

Al, Rambling Woods and Steve, thanks for visiting and taking the time to share your thoughts and memories. It's wonderful to hear of others' mentors and their stories. Thank you for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...