31 December 2010

Stagnant Collections and Resolutions

 I've been collecting nutcrackers for many years now, since the late 1980's I believe.  I once bought or was gifted a new nutcracker every year.
 Now my collection includes almost 30 nutcrackers.  If you do the math, you'll discover I've missed a few years.  My love for nutcrackers continues as I search for the unusual and beautiful.  Something that speaks to me.
I have a lot that are similar in appearance too.  For example, I have different versions of Santa nutcrackers and soldier nutcrackers.  What I would love to find is a collection fashioned after the Nutcracker Ballet.  One day I would love to decorate an entire tree with ornaments related to the famous ballet.  It's a small dream, but a nice one.  Afterall, what are the winter months for if one cannot dream, plan a garden, reminisce, celebrate the good things and the triumps.  How are you spending yours and what do you plan for the remaining months of winter now that Christmas festivities have passed? 

Do you make New Years Resolutions?  I do, but then, before I know it, time has passed and so has the resolution with nothing resolute about it, like the collection that remains the same and is only thought about once a year, though I absolutely love each and every piece of it.  Perhaps recording on paper and writing out a plan to accomplish them would help.  Or, so I hear. 

New Years is but a few days away.  I can hardly believe another year has passed.  It causes me to pause and ponder, like the famous line in the song that goes ".....and what have you done?  Another year over and a new one just begun".  My next resolution....to accomplish things.  Not to let time pass by.  To tackle and complete dreaded projects.  To make every minute count.  Perhaps then, once another year has passed, I will look back with satisfaction upon my accomplishments, oh, yes, and record them in my journal too(another one of those goals that has slipped by the wayside).  So, now they are written, recorded for all to read.  There should be an amount of accountability in that, right?  Do you have anything that you are working towards?  A plan in place?  A resolution? 

I want to wish a Happy New Year to one and all.  May you strive to reach new horizons, conquer that which holds you back, and reach for the stars.  May joy and happiness enfold you in comfort and may you find peace.  "God bless us everyone" (Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens).

3 comments:

Shyrlene said...

Shirley - I love your post, very sentimental and thought-provoking at the same time! Resolutions are always a touchy subject (so challenging & frustrating if you put too much weight into accomplishments), so I like the idea of reflecting & appreciating the past year.

I hope you have a wonderful 2011 - very Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

THank you for your comment on the art, Shirley. I collect santas and altogether (including those that hang on the tree), I have about 25. I love to collect certain things. Including tiny things - usually no bigger than 2" - a collection I've had since I was around 10. :-)

Happy New Year!
P.S. I have a few nutcrackers, too - maybe six or so.

Rambling Woods said...

I love your collection...I gave up on NY resolutions as I made them hard to keep and then felt sad about it...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...