19 September 2010

Autumn's Calling Card



 The frost isn't kind to some of the tender plants in the garden.......


 Autumn has come calling early this year leaving in its wake of frosty nights these sad looking plants.  Hydrangea (Endless Summer) on the left and magnolia (Royal Star) on the right. 

However, some plants take on extraordinary hues that it makes one forgive the unsightly frost bitten leaves.  On the left are the pink samaras of the amur maple and on the right peeking out from behind the ninebark are the blossoms of pink diamond hydrangea.

The foliage of Three-flowered Maple is beginning to turn colour.


Peony on the left and below starting to turn colour and virginia creeper reddening.

Rhododendron on the right. I can't remember my rhodo changing colour before but then again, I wasn't in the garden with camera attached for the sake of blogging it either!
The fluffy heads of jackmanii clematis.



There is so much beauty in all the seasons.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that the chill hit Edmonton. I thought your climate was like here in Niagara Falls, but I am way off base. We have had temps in the 50's during the day, but nowhere near freezing yet. My Endless Summer is still going strong.

Anonymous said...

We have had a frost here yet near Buffalo NY....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...